“When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.” Cynthia Heimel

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Internet is killing me

The Internet is killing me.

The digital world is ruining my life.

It's the things that I see, the endless river of photos and headlines that are eroding my innermost core.

Being online is chipping away at my soul and creating a world that I wish I could unsee.

A fraction of the lives of others, snapshots of someone else's reality that isn't even real.

Be prettier.
Work harder.
Value things more and people less. Buy this thing you never really wanted, spend all your money it will all work out.
Earn your self worth with every 'like' and right swipe.

All of this at the expense of character, integrity, and honor.

I keep gaining followers but I wouldn't even follow myself.

If I were on the outside looking in I would be hypnotized by the happy pictures and encouraging posts but from the inside I know it's not always picture perfect.

Life is dirty.
Life is gritty and nasty and hard.

Life is about hard truths not pretty doses of moments so fleeting that I can't even remember them without my Instagram.

Whatever happened to making phone calls?

The anxiety is overwhelming "what if they answer?"
What if they do?

There was purpose in conversation and meaning in giving time and now we are all dispensing a text here and there and substituting face time with FaceTime.

I have to pull myself out of this ugly and painful fictitious realm or I'll never really experience life as I know it.

The Internet is killing me.

We have to break up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.”- William Shedd